View Single Post
Old 18-11-20, 15:38

Default M38Cdn Refurbishment

Well the old Jeep developed a noise in the motor at 32K miles which I wanted to tackle before it threw a rod or destroyed something major. So as most things go, if you start on a project they tend to snowball which this will be on an epic scale. Being 68 years old, the old girl was in need of a thorough going over so I decided I'll do a frame up refurbishment to make it safe, dependable and corrosion free. The good news is that everything worked well up to this point on it and shouldn't need a lot of repairs except for a motor overhaul. Hopefully by end of day today I'll have the tub off and can start on the undercarriage.

Plans right now are to:
-replace all seals and gaskets on the transmission, t-case and front and rear differentials
-have a rad shop go over the radiator
-re-arch the springs and install new shocks and shackles
-replace all the brake flex hoses and brake lines
-replace the wiring harness with a reproduction one
-replace the windshield and sealing rubber
-replace body mount rubber and anti-squeak strips
-replace the master cylinder and go over all brakes
-fresh paint - Here's where it gets interesting. The CF trialed a 3 color camouflage in the late 60's on the M38Cdn. I may replicate that or stick with the regular OD (Ref Ed Storey's article in the last "History in Motion" magazine), still toying with that one?

There's a few drill holes to weld up in the tub but no rust to speak of which is good as I hate bodywork :-(
Attached Thumbnails
jeep 1.1.jpg   jeep 2.2.jpg   jeep 3.1.jpg   Jeep 4.1.jpg   jeep 5.1.jpg  

1951 PE-95K Gen Set
MVPA
Cdn Forces 1986-2006

Last edited by Peter Phillips; 18-11-20 at 15:51.