Thread: Reference: C8A HUP grease seals
View Single Post
Old 13-09-20, 04:37

Dave, I think I have the solution.
SKF make very neat sleeves specifically to restore shaft damage under lip seals. If I install one of these Speedi-sleeves, part number 99147 on each axle shaft, that will bring the diameter under the seal up to 1.512" since the shaft was originally 1.490" and a speedi-sleeve is 0.011" thick.
Luckily, I found some 3.25" x 2.490" mechanical tubing at the museum, so I can machine a spacer ring with an od of 3 1/16" and an id of 2.250". This will press fit into the existing bore in the axle and then we can press fit SKF seal number 15141 into the spacer and that should seal well on the speedi-sleeve.

I understand this is not an easy option for most but I'm afraid that's what it seems to take to replace this seal. Total cost of this option is $10 for the seal, $50 for the speedi-sleeve, and maybe $100 for getting a shop to make the spacer ring. Not a cheap fix!
Malcolm
PS As I said above, I'm not convinced this seal needs to seal for street driving. So to pay for the full fix may be a waste of money. After all, our HUP had the original leather seal, an extremely corroded axle shaft land under the seal, yet no obvious leakage of diff oil into the eggshell. It was grease that leaked big time into the drum. The big grease seal is the critical one.

Last edited by Malcolm Towrie; 13-09-20 at 04:47.