Thread: Reference: C8A HUP grease seals
View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 02:46

Ok, Hanno.
I've found out some more info.
I'm going to trial fit a metric seal as suggested by David. The part number is 35X78X8 CRW1 R. It'll be a tight fit in the bore (0.010" diametral interference) and it's tight on the shaft (at least 1/16" interference) but it might work for this low speed, rarely driven application. I'll get one and see how it feels.

I suspect this axle seal has very little to do except when going off road. It looks like the diff oil level is below the bottom of the axle, so the seal will rarely see oil when street driving. This might be a good reason NOT to use the above seal, as without any lubrication, the rubber lip on the seal may rub hard and wear quickly.

The area on both axles where the seal rides is very corroded, another reason I think this seal sees little oil, so I was considering installing SKF speedi-sleeves, part number 99147, to bring it back to good condition. These are very thin sleeves that's can be pressed onto the sealing part of the shaft to cover the damaged area and still allow use of the original-sized seal.

The large grease seal on this C8A HUP is 6.25" x 5" so I'll be getting the SKF 49998 seal. The Motion Industries web site, which is also a good resource, says the Timken 416865 is also an option.

The pinion seal bore and shaft diameter are 3.060 x 2.250, so an SKF 22382 should fit.

I'll update on how I get on.

Malcolm

Last edited by Malcolm Towrie; 11-09-20 at 03:03.