View Single Post
Old 23-04-20, 15:39
Terry Warner

Default ISO containers

I lived and worked in 20' ISOs in Bosnia over a winter. The camp also had container-sized modules for the dining hall. While the bright idea fairy will blink and waive their magic wand to make sleeping quarters, offices, etc, they are not well suited for heating and cooling. Someone mentioned rust already .... heed the warning.

The sleeping unit needed a proper window cut into one end. There was a proper swing door on the other. So a crew of locally-engaged-employees sabresawed a square through to the outside. These ones were outer skin, insulation and vapour barrier, and interior wall, with the utilities built around the baseboards and ceilings. Built from the outside in.

The office unit had a lot of foot traffic and floor load. The middle of the floor spans sagged, but the design has no 8' joists only 8' floor boards. Ours had some sort of rolled linoleum. Heating was similarly challenged, with baseboard radiant heat, a 220v plastic laminator, and in summer a small a/c unit and fans.

The dining units were delivered as flats. I think they were made in Turkey. While the floors were ISO dimensions, the walls and ceiling were collapsed for transport. The contractors had to find a crane that was low enough to pass a particular doorway and still be strong enough to hoist an 8' x 20' ceiling while the workmen raised four corner posts to vertical. I think they had a Czech Tatra boom truck.

Finally, outside storage ISOs were no better than outdoor ambiant storage except not exposed to direct rain. Beware of air flow to move humid air without condensing on metal objects. We had plywood map storage racks in ours, and the paper was invariably more humid than we liked. Paper does not like to be dried too many times. The sheets had lots of wrinkles. And yes, the floors were instant junk magnets if there was no clear shelf space.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!