View Single Post
Old 23-04-20, 05:12

I was very fortunate to be able to acquire base units and rails for a compactus rolling shelf set up that was no longer required by a city book store. I came away with a truck load of the stuff.
The units are six feet long and about 32" wide. I installed 17 foot rails in a 20 foot container and built shelves on a number of base units which leaves me with a walkway down one side and one empty space that can be opened up between any of the rolling shelf units. It is the optimum use of space as it only has one lengthways aisle and one crossways. The 3 foot shelving at the far end is fixed.
I would not have a container for storage without a roof of some sort over it. this is for two reasons. One is that there is no runoff and water will inevitably pool in some areas and the other being a bad tendency for containers to sweat and promote surface rust on any unprotected steel or iron. I once opened a container in Melbourne that had been packed in the UK and of course had to pass through the tropics. it looked like someone had hosed the underside of the roof.
A friend packed his workshop into a container in Darwin and had it shipped to Victoria where it sat for some months. When he opened it the rust had really taken hold.

David