View Single Post
Old 28-03-20, 02:11
VMVC

Default Ford CMP wire gauges

Good Day,

In the process of renewing some wiring I noticed some errors in my previous post on the lighting panel wiring. I have upgraded the diagrams accordingly.
Basically 16 gauge wire was used for the jumps, lead to the inspection socket, and dash lights instead of 14 gauge wire.

This became apparent when I compared the three wires on the cowl terminal block to the drawing supplied by Keith. see attached. This gave me a good reference point to determine the sizes of all wires on an original harness fitted to a late war dash. Checking good sections of the wires with a vernier eliminated the eye being fooled by colour or light.

As a general guideline, the wiring between instruments, dash lights, inspection socket, the resistor and coil, start button to solenoid, and wires connecting sending units are 16 gauge (same size as high beam indicator wire). Wires for the jumps between the switches are 16 gauge also but attach to 14 gauge wires on the main harness. I believe the reason for this is two wires into a bullet require smaller gauge wire to fit and as the wires are close to the power source and short, the voltage drops are negligible.
Wires to the tail, side, and stop lights are 14 gauge (same size as side light wires). The wire to the headlight terminal on the cowl is 12 gauge but the tails from the block to the two headlights are 14 gauge. The stop light isolation switch out wire is 14 gauge as there is only one wire connected to the switch on the output side. The longer runs to the tail and stop lights require larger 14 gauge wire to reduce the voltage drops.

There may be other variations based on wartime expediency but these sizes are correct as measured on an original harness.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
wire gauges 2.jpg   IMG_3671.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 28-03-20 at 03:39. Reason: Added original harness picture