View Single Post
Old 26-07-16, 11:11
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi John,

How's it going? Thanks for the reply. Yes, the manual says the puller is the way to remove it so it has got me a bit beat.

I took the axle housing to my mechanic today. He took one look at it and said that he didn't think that a puller would do it with it having a tapered shaft and a rusted keyway. He also said that he didn't think a press would have done it either (as I had set it up).

He thought lots of heat fast onto the yoke and then smacking the yoke with a big hammer would be the way to do it. He isn't sure about the pinion shaft until he has a look but he thought that it is likely to be very tight around the spigot where it fits into the axle housing. We'll see how good he is.....

Interestingly, I started work on the rear axle late today. This axle looks a lot better and the differential turns freely and the threaded torque rods undid fairly easily. This axle had a leaking seal on the pinion shaft and with all the oil and grease all over the yoke and into the keyway, I thought it looked promising for removal. One short blow with a cold chisel on the nut securing the yoke undid the nut, so it was looking good at that stage.

I then put my 6" puller on the yoke and worked it up. As I'd done with the other yoke, I gave the puller a smack with a hammer but all I was able to achieve this time was a broken puller! Ha!

I'll have a look at other options and in the meantime, see what the mechanic comes back with.

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car