Thread: Info needed: SM420 tranny......
View Single Post
Old 06-02-24, 04:05

Default First prize goes to Paul.......

Good show Paul you found what I couldn't find......

Posting was also noticed by Luc Jette from Montreal who contacted me tonite.

He did a similar conversion and still drives the old C15a..... Once the bell housing is modified as documented by Phil W. it is a simple bolt on back in place...... just remember that the short drive shaft linking to the T case has to be shortened by about an inch......

For safety it is best to use Blue Loctite tight on the u joint nuts/bolts near the rear of the tranny....if they work loose they will shear off most of the bolts and shatter the rear tranny cover like a buzz saw...... Blue Loctite can be softened with a propane torch if you need to remove them at a later date.

Now the hunt is on to find in .... the barn, somewhere, to locate the original 1959 Chev bell housing that came with my 261...... to try that trick as I have a complete SM 420 sitting on the floor of the shed doing nuttin'.

The Forum does work......... thanks everyone...... if this really works we no longer have to keep our 216 original RH drive bell housing under lock and key.

Hummmm..... I may have some spare old bell housing to practice on courtesy of Paul.......who also gets second prize for the spare parts...
Canada