View Single Post
Old 18-05-18, 13:20
Armour Owner x 3

Lynn

As I have said on other forums, if a replica is properly done and is identified as such then well and good.
I for one do not get sniffy over those lovely Mosquitos made in the last few years in NZ. The only really non-genuine aspect is who made them and when.
To me they are still lovely Mossies.
The same applies to most of the Spits now flying, most of them are either so majority new parts as to be in effect new airframes.
I doubt the owners really care and I certainly wouldn't if offered a ride!
The difference being everyone is aware of their status.

As a P-40 owner in the US once said to a rivet counter who was being obnoxious "you can paint your P-40 whatever colo(u)r you like". As it subsequently turned out, the owner had his details correct and the rivet counter was full of himself and was wanting to see that P-40 in markings he decreed were correct.
It is a matter of perspective.
The point being, it all seems to hinge around how rare a specific vehicle/plane is and what it takes to restore it. The Ontario museum sought to buy an ultra rare Maultier, they should have done their homework first, it wasn't very hard to do so.

From what I can see, they got auction fever and jumped in with both feet and now want to cry foul.

Most who buy rare vehicles obtain the services of an expert so that they have full awareness of what they are purchasing.

Last edited by Douglas Greville; 18-05-18 at 14:56.