View Single Post
Old 21-11-09, 07:39
Alex McDougall

Default Aerostart and Propane

Aerostart will start a diesel too. But if you need Aerostart for any motor then you've probably figured it's got some problems.

Starting any diesel in the cold can be aided significantly if you can get some heat into the air intake. My Dad uses his little propane torch on the tractor and his lighting plant on cold mornings. Just loosen and lift off the aircleaner and aim it across the top until she's just running. Refit the aircleaner (well).

I've read that for troubleshooting leanness in petrol carby/efi motors you can use the propane torch (UNLIT of course) to direct some gas into the carby or throttle body while the motor is running to temporarily enrich the mixture. At least your hand is a little further out of the way... by that rationale then I guess propane could be used to assist starting a stubborn petrol motor. And if you're apt to reach for an empty tin can to tickle your petrol motor into runing then think again and reach for a plastic softdrink bottle and use it instead - smaller mouth so less chance of spilling the contents (on yourself) should you get a surprise.

Play Safe!

Regards

Alex