View Single Post
Old 23-06-04, 15:50
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Files

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
I shall be put out of my misery if and when the War Diaries for 1 and 2 Overseas Detachments are found..they exist evidently but where?
David/Clive;

I should have posted this earlier, anyways, reference confusion over who's who in the zoo and who's under which cover:

Serial 3302 - No. 1 Ordnance Depot Company, R.C.O.C. (later Serial 3302 - No. 1 Ordnance Depot, R.C.O.C.) and Serial 3303 - No. 2 Ordnance Depot Company, R.C.O.C. (later Serial 3303 - No. 2 Ordnance Depot, R.C.O.C.), were both organized (GO 384/42) here in Canada on a Home War Establishment (No. 1 Ordnance Depot Company, R.C.O.C. - Cdn. V/1940/538C/1 and for No. 2 Ordnance Depot Company, R.C.O.C. - Cdn. V/1940/538D/1 - both Effective 1st May, 1942) which meant that both units served within the borders of Canada for the duration of the War.

Serial 657 - No. 1 (Overseas) Detachment, R.C.O.C. and Serial 658 - No. 2 (Overseas) Detachment, R.C.O.C., were both organized (GO 183/41) in the United Kingdom on a War Establishment (No. 1 (Overseas) Detachment, R.C.O.C. - Cdn. IV/1940/127C/1 and for No. 2 (Overseas) Detachment, R.C.O.C. - Cdn. IV/1940/127D/1 - both Effective 1st July, 1940)

Don't forget, that both No. 1 and No. 2 (Overseas) Detachments, R.C.O.C., had orignially started out has 'ad hoc' formations at Aldershot and Bordon, respectively, before being 'officially' organized has established units. The War Diaries for these 'ad hoc' units and detachments, should be found within Serial 657 - (for) No. 1 (Overseas) Detachment, R.C.O.C. and it's predecessor 'ad hoc' unit at Aldershot and Serial 658 - (for) No. 2 (Overseas) Detachment, R.C.O.C. and it's predecessor 'ad hoc' unit at Bordon.

In regards to Serial 657 - No. 1 (Overseas) Detachment, R.C.O.C., it was disbanded under authority of GO 111/46 - Effective 20th January, 1946.

Anyways, I hope this clears up the confusion over what should be found where and who was who, before and after.

Cheers