View Single Post
Old 25-11-05, 14:13
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by wayne c. petrie
Lets ship out are presently elected officals by FedEx.Then elect all Independents.
Wouldn't THAT cause a shit-storm in Ottawa! The bureaucrats wouldn't know what to do with themselves (or mebbe they would - see Hanno's post)

Seriously, our system needs restructuring. Our taxes are amongst the highest in the civilised world, and we get damn-all for the privilege of paying: the money is used to buy votes elsewhere in the country. Our appointed-for-life Senate is a joke. Our appointed-for-life judiciary is a joke as is Trudeau's constitution, which allows the former to rule the country by fiat (not the car).

As many Canucks still do, I used to stick my nose up in the air when we were comparing our sustem with that of the Americans, but I've come to realize that their system of checks and balances is more practical in its own way and certainly more representative. Ours may intrinsically be more flexible, but that very fact allows abuse-of-power, which has been evident since Trudeau's time. Rule by Order-in-Council should be abolished, as should Party Whips, scurrying about like rodents ensuring MPs vote according to the whim of the PM. It's absurd. What we've ended up with is a benign dictatorship. At least we have the chance of electing an alternative... it's our only saving grace.

Rob -- maybe they're sending Annie to Ottawa to get rid of her? I can see no other possible explanation...

It's too early in the morning for all this, but I confess to being sick and tired of paying everything for nothing. While I've seen annual salary increases in the last 10 years, they've been below the cost-of-living increases, with the result that together with tax increases, I'm actually seeing a great deal less real income than I was in 1995; and as some of you have pointed out, it's bought me precisely nothing.

If Alberta ever does decide to separate, count me first in line to claim refugee status...

People, just ensure you and everyone you know actually votes. We have no hope if you, or they, don't. I know many will say it's a pointless exercise, but it's surely better than the alternative!