View Single Post
Old 02-01-21, 02:24

Default 2021 at the Hammond Barn

Mirror arms.........

Whenever I store my C15a into the sea container, I have to remove the very rigid rear view mirror arms by unbolting them or it will not fit........

So on the first opportunity I had to remove the sheet metal for some other task, I designed the following shortcut.

The mirror arms are held in place by the two bolts that ALSO holds the windshield frame in place. In the original set up of the cab 11/12, the bolts are installed from the outside using captive nuts inside the cowling area that can only be reached if you remove the upper layer of sheet metal...... and then the windshield is very wobbly if the top is not installed as on mine.

The solution is to remove the two captive nuts and cage and install a same size bolt. Make yourself a 1/4 inch thick spacer the same shape/size as the windshield support bracket or trace the outline of the mirror arm foot. Drill two holes undersized and tap for the bolt size into the spacer. Install the bolt from inside the cowling with a lock washer and tighten....... your bolt has to be long enough to go through the windshield frame support and the threaded spacer and still be out long enough to allow the mirror arms to be installed.

See attached photos....... comments/suggestions welcome.

The last two photos shows the next version...... it will allow me to install a flexible mirror similar to what is used on a cab 13 which can be folded in for storage......for truck shows I can revert back to the solid arms which will be sporting true CMP small rectangular mirrors.

Cheers

PS..... the next posting will be on replacing the clutch in a cab 11 .....and all the new words I have added to my vocabulary!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00399.JPGtext.jpg   DSC00401.jpg   DSC00397.JPGtext.jpg   DSC00398.JPGtext.jpg   DSC00402.JPGtext.jpg  

Canada

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 02-01-21 at 09:20. Reason: New sticky thread