View Single Post
Old 03-04-14, 03:44
3RD ECHELON WKSP

If I was doing this up, I would probably look at sandblasting everything bare even before attempting welding her back up. Another key thing about a reweld job like this is to also take into account the gap or amount of material that was torch cut out or that needs to be removed to facilitate decent welding and to allow for this when welding the frame back as well.
What I am getting at is that you need to keep the mounting holes aligned between frame vs body as it would be quite easy to stretch or shrink the overall dimensions on one or the other.
I would be inclined to make the body fit together really nicely and then the frame can be adjusted to match and be unseen.
Should the weld gap end up being too large to effectively weld in a couple passes, the welder can always affix a backer plate on the inside which can be cut off afterwards. A large gap like this can be filled by "weaving" the weld or layering in multiple passes.
Considering the fact that they left the escape hatch uncut, it provides a great reference for how close the two halfs of the hull should be for welding.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers

Last edited by chris vickery; 03-04-14 at 03:49. Reason: sp