View Single Post
Old 28-12-21, 18:16

Default Rotary Transformer L.P., MG1A ZA/CAN 4353

The Rotary Transformer LP started calling my name this morning after I finished clearing the snow at the front of the house from yesterdays storm. Just as I finished, it started snowing again, so I retreated to the basement with a pail of fresh tea and headed over to the Supply Unit once more.

The end cap on the left end of the Rotary Transformer LP (MG1A), mounted on the mid-level shelf is also fully accessible from the back of the Supply Unit so I decided to open it up for a quick look and see if the four countersunk machine screws holding this end cap in place were consistent with those I found yesterday in the HP unit.

There are clearly a lot of common parts shared by these two rotary transformers. The big difference is the central body/case that is about one inch longer on the lower HP unit than on the upper LP one. Overall length of MG1A is 7.5 inches compared to 8.5 inches for MG2A below it.

When the four 6-32 machine screws came out, they were all 7/16” length, so I am still guessing why the other set in MG2A are two different sizes.

This time around, the paper gasket came off with the end cap all in one piece. The thin circle of grease at the centre of the gasket is black, holding a lot of fine dust. A careful look at the bearings inside revealed they are in Very Good Plus, or better, shape. No rust evident anywhere and no pitting. The grease, however, is a dark green colour and a typical soft grease. Not at all the thick, dark amber, homogenized honey like texture Andoc-C is noted to be in the literature I have read. So that is now added to my ‘Odd List’.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Rotary Transformer LP, MG1A 1.JPG   Rotary Transformer LP, MG1A 2.JPG   Rotary Transformer LP, MG1A 3.JPG   Rotary Transformer LP, MG1A 4.JPG