View Single Post
Old 09-12-21, 17:38

Default SUPPLY Unit ZA/CAN 4772

In this post, I want to simply highlight the physical damage this Supply Unit has received. None of it looks even remotely Military Service related and I suspect at least three quarters of it all took place at the same time.

The three common bits of damage are in the first three photos.

Photo 1 is a view of the top edge of the front main panel where somebody took a hammer to it, or a piece of round bar. At first glance, it looked like the work of a small diameter grinding tool, but when you look closer, you can see the effects of an impact force coming downwards and towards the front of the panel. The paint has chipped away from the front face and this impact edge is smooth. The inside edge of the panel, on the other hand has mushroomed in towards the chassis frame. Also, the force of the impact on the left most dent caught the eye screw and crimped it enough the aerial connector cable between the Receiver and Sender can no longer fir through it. Easy enough to restore the eye screw and I think it may be possible to run a simple weld bead along the edge of the panel metal at each dent and dress them down to remove any sign of the dents before I get around to refinishing the front panel. It is interesting to note just how clean the Blower Motor assembly and its related capacitor are compared to the one in the Sender last year. Even better, the dirt on this blower wipes away with a finger.

Photo 2 is the Modification Card Holder mounted to the upper chassis support plate. Note the two dents in it roughly at the midline. They look like the ball end of a hammer was active here. This holder can be removed, straightened and cleaned easily enough, and if needs be a quick zinc plating will restore if nicely.

Photo 3 is the ball end of the hammer at work on the right end of the upper rear chassis frame. Not much I can do about this damage. Most if it is right on the angle edge of the frame piece and pretty much impossible to get at. But the dirt should clean up from around it OK.

It is these three bits of damage I suspect all took place around the same time when this Supply Unit had been pulled out of the Carriers No. 4 for some reason.

Photo 4 is the last bit of physical damage that I have found that makes no sense to have happened in Military Service. It looks very much like somebody wanted to have a look inside this 5-Pin Connector. The body of the connector shows signs of being held in either a vise, or vise grips, while another set of pliers went to work attempting to pull the central core out of the connector. Clearly they did not succeed, but the connector is distorted beyond use now. Fortunately I have an NOS spare on hand I can swap out once the front panel comes off for restoration.

There are a few other physical oddities that have shown up, but I am pretty certain they are part of the Military Service History of this Supply Unit and I will cover them later.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Supply Unit 9.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 10.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 11.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 12.JPG