View Single Post
Old 01-12-21, 03:42

Default CONNECTORS, Twin, No. 17 ZA/CAN/BR 2349

One small detail I decided to add to the Connectors Cable Assembly was a replica C-Broad Arrow Stamp to the cording at the battery terminal end of the negative cable. These markings have been on my mind for a number of years as legitimate, historical marking for Canadian Military equipment, but it has only been in the last year, or so, that I have been able to satisfy myself the markings are truly defunct and no longer in use with modern equipment. It also did not hurt to get a positive boost into working with these markings after seeing the great job Jordan Baker did with replicating the canvas cover for his FFW 15-cwt.

I have several other battery cables made by Canadian Marconi Company for use with the 52-Set, these being the short interconnection cables between the sets of two 6-Volt Wireless Batteries. They had the luxury of a rubber stamp for their work, but the ribbed surface of the cording means the stamp only reaches the outer edges of the ribs and the C-Broad Arrow is not as well defined as it would be on a flat surface. The cables I have were marked in blue ink.

Without a stamp, I had to improvise and what I discovered was Carters still makes black carbon paper for old fashioned typing copies and Staples sold packets of 12 sheets for $4.00 Cdn. So I bought a packet. I then photographed a C-Broad Arrow stamp on a piece of equipment and sized it to just over 3/8-inch diameter and printed out a copy. Taping down the negative Connectors Cable to keep it stable, I did a simple rubbing transfer to copy the mark over to the new cording on the battery terminal end of the negative cable and it turned out not too badly. A thin wipe of satin Urethane over top and it was done.

When reassembling the two cables into the Bakelite Connectors assembly it was really nice to see how easily they now slipped into place having been cleaned. The last two pictures show the restored Connectors, Twin, No. 17 reconnected to the Supply Unit and the 12 Volt DC Power Feed System.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 CONNECTORS, Twin, No. 17 MM.JPG   WS No. 52 CONNECTORS, Twin, No. 17 NN.JPG   WS No. 52 CONNECTORS, Twin, No. 17 OO.JPG