View Single Post
Old 01-12-06, 19:07
Mr. HUP

Default Coincidence???

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
I remember going on a recovery call (I think it was 2VP that time) and of course, they were out by about a grid square. So up to the top of the nearest hill we go, and sure enough, there they are about a mile away.
Honest navigation mistake...I think not. The boys were probably having a little fun at your expense...not an uncommon event.

On a related note, while on exercise in Gagetown, I recall receiving a recovery request on the battery net from our BK. He had convinced his driver that the (then) new 5/4 ton truck could negotiate large mud puddles riddled with 2.5 and 5 ton truck wheel tracks. It couldn't and it didn't.

The recovery request was not pro forma and he neglected to provide a grid reference (map skills were somewhat questionable). I asked for his location (expecting a grid reference), and he responded "Reference gun position location on the map. From east end of gun position, go southeast, green spot with a trail running through it, over." The Command Post crew found this response quite amusing.

We finally got a four figure grid reference, and then asked for the reason for recovery. The BK wanted to know why we need to know this fact. Our sig, getting impatient asked " Are you stuck, over?" The response was "Negative. The mud is too deep, over."

It took 20 minutes for the sig and techs to stop their laughing and giggling...

The ammo truck driver sent to recover the vehicle wasn't too impressed.