View Single Post
Old 15-10-14, 15:00

Default A lot of mystery....

....and second hand information.

Yes the trucks had 11x20 for most road travel.

In the 70s we were deep in M37 as a lot had been liquidated after tje FLQ crisis.

My best "recollection" was that seven prototype were provided to DND for testing. All of them were slightly different as they were hand built prototype. Things like doors and particualrly tops all had slight difference in size....parts would not necessarily interchange having been hand fitted.

The story was, and it was much easier to get good information back then, thatone had been destroyed on purpose during testing. At the saem time they were testing 4 and 6 wheel drive Volvos and Land Rovers. They use to road test them by driving to Montreal and back on a daily basis somethimes using the back farm roads between Hwy 17 and the 401 corridor..... 417 did not exist then.
Some were driven on ski hills at Camp Fortune. It was not unusual to see them cannonballing in Eastern Ontario back roads.

For a brief period there was one at the old street car barn in Deschene PQ but we were told that it had been sold to someone out West and alwasy assumed that it was the one that surfaced on Ebay....location BC somewhere.

As far as I know they were all very similar and were all amphibious.

The civilian model, as far as I am concerned, was never submitted to Lette but came as a byproduct of the prototype and had a regular open bottom never intended for amphibious operation. Call is a cheapened version.

One would have to find the actual contract with Chrysler/DND to get the real number.

But if there was only six then it is even rarer and worth more...hahaha

Cheers
Canada