Thread: Heads Up: CMPs for sale in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 11-05-06, 13:55
MLU Administrator

Default Re: C8AX for sale

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
See Trade Me.
C8AX sold on 5 Mar 2006. The reserve ($5000) was met, though I don't know how much it went for eventually.

Quote:
Seller Comments:

For anyone interested,this vehicle has a transfercase off a larger C15,C30 or C60 truck which gives it Hi Low range and also power takeoff which would make an easy job of fitting an original military winch,and it has canopy bows so just needs a cover made,and still has original convoy lights which shines onto diffhead and disables tailights via a switch on the rear chassis area near drivers side rear wheel.

These engines are pretty much a metric copy of a Chev straight 6,so much so that after modifying the toyota bellhousing to bolt up to the original 4 speed box,the Chevs timing cover/front engine mount plate bolted right up apart from 2 bolt positions which needed opening up.The toyota is a lot better on fuel as well not to mention the power increase which is great on hills when travelling in convoy with other standard engine army vehicles ,eg GMC,Chev or Ford trucks.

The truck was bought from a bloke called Craig Withington who at the time was working for Southland Sand and gravels subsiduary company Arrowtown transport(I think)in Arrowtown.Unfortunately Craig died several years ago and all else I can tell you about this truck is that its NZ army number was NZ 25716,and that one sgt Bennet (deceased)of Invercargill had scratched his details into the steeringwheel boss which is the only piece on the truck which was left untouched during its restoration.