View Single Post
Old 25-09-20, 05:34
VMVC

Default Ford single and two speed transfer case differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof.Fowler View Post
Hello. First post here and I'm new to the CMP world. Thanks for having me.

While we're on the subject of transfer cases, does anyone know the model of the single speed transfer case used in the smaller CMP vehicles? From what I can see online, it looks very similar to the 2-speed case, just without the shift rail and that box end to the case where the shift rail resides. Are some of the internal parts the same between the two, or are they totally different?

Thanks!
Welcome Geof,

Hope you enjoy your experience here. Plenty of people who can answer your questions in a very collegial manner.

I don't know the model of the single speed transfer case but the same one was used in Both Ford and Chevy's.

Without going through every part, basically caps, shims, bearings and cones, seals and gaskets are mostly the same.
The internal shafts are different between the two types. Both type use the same driven gear but the single speed uses two of them. Both type use the same idler gear too. The speedometer driven and drive gears are also different between the two models.
The front wheel declutch units are the same on both transfer cases.
The case itself is very much different to accommodate the low range gear and shifting arrangements.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 25-09-20 at 09:03. Reason: Added speedometer gears and declutch unit.