View Single Post
Old 07-12-15, 12:20
Member since 1998

Default Vehicle paint and markings

Hi Keith,
Some of the tin sheeting was also out of square so this leads to the fact they were hand built to suit each body. Noticed this on the front and rear body top sections.

The paint job was an eye opener, vehicle undercoat was sprayed gloss grey straight on to the metal then topped off with war time green sprayed over that. The disruptive cam was hand painted. The tin under the door skin is bare metal in the middle and sprayed only on the edges. They saved heaps of paint doing this.

The vehicle had a quick refurbish Post War with a new coat of green over everything. A new nose section was fitted (yellow primer and Holden ID badge) and I think this may have been where the crew doors where swapped around.

The ARN number was re painted, 67651 and so was the bridging plate. The vehicle must have towed a trailer at some point.

I am doing this truck up to represent a Field Staff Car.

Don't know the history of this vehicle but going by the Black Duck I'd say Western Command. I don't know when this Unit sign was introduced but it was used by many Regiments over this way from the 1950s on.

The Forgotten Army (sorry, forgot who wrote it) mentions Western Command (Western Australia) and some of the higher ranking officers who may have had access to this vehicle.

Wartime Western Command unit sign was an exciting looking white W on a black field, this hung around into the 1960's.

Vehicle has matching chassis and engine numbers (the Canadian bits )
Attached Thumbnails
20s.jpg   19s.jpg  
Attached Images