View Single Post
Old 05-04-21, 03:54

Default Frustration ... self-inflicted!

Getting ready to rebuild the gearbox and transfer case. Gearbox is first, so mounted the case onto the bench bar, and laid out all the parts (including a new sealed rear bearing, thanks Mike K ) ..... all except the 'T84 small parts kit' I purchased in mid March. Yep, just a few weeks ago, and do you think I can find that small plastic bag?? It's got the thrust washers, circlips and so on .... not advisable to try rebuilding a gearbox without those bits! That little plastic bag is tucked away somewhere nice and safe, and will probably jump out and bite me on the posterior when a replacement kit arrives!

Chassis went to the sandblaster earlier this week. They are super-busy, so a few weeks before I'll see it back. I exchanged the chassis for the sandblasted axle housings, which are now primed and ready for a final internal clean before re-assembly. Rockauto were quick in sending all the bearings, and I have a couple of original, still-sealed sets of axle gaskets.

Mike K: thanks for the tip about the studs. I have the original type, and will rely on some of 'Mr Loctite's' magic thread lock to prevent them unwinding.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
21-04-04-gearbox1 cropped-s.JPG