View Single Post
Old 29-12-20, 00:12
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Hi Bruce.

Some interesting other details in these photos. Some very hefty, equipment under the 52-Set bench with a row of white switch knobs along the top.
I'm wondering what those are too.

Quote:
The bin by the rear door the 52-set boxes are sitting on also has a smaller box marked ‘TELEGRAPHY EQUIPMENT’ sitting on it.
That one I can explain: it's a standard "Deed Box" as used by the legal profession, only painted green instead of black. The UK version was stencilled "Telegraph Equipment Unit B" (There was a "Unit A" for other purposes.), and it contained the issued stock of paperwork, binders, and possibly the "Stamp, Army Signal Dating, Mk.II" for the station/office.

The contents will be listed in the relevant section of "Regulations for the Equipment of the Army, Part 2, Section 13" (I think it's the base section 13 (no suffix letter) that dealt with Royal Signals as a whole). I have not been able to get my hands on a copy of this.

Basically it contains the various "Army Book" covers (155 Message Forms, 156 (Records), etc.), plus pads of Signal Register, Wireless Log, Message Form, D/R Docket books, envelopes, pencils, and so on that would be needed by the station or signal office.

The Wireless Log and Signal Register stayed in the AB156 covers, Message pads in AB155 (or used 'loose' in an office) and the forms were removed and distributed as required once filled out (and kept in bulldog clips or mousetraps to keep them organized). Paperwork was retained for 24 hours (I think) and then burned for security. (It's all in Signal Office Organization (for major units) or Signal Training (All Arms) for smaller ones.)

I need to scan more documents, I'm sure I have more forms somewhere!

Chris.