View Single Post
Old 09-12-15, 04:58
carrier mech

911 black is good, or as an easily sourced alternative, tremclad flat black (oil based) works well and I have had no fade in this colour, unlike the original army black that turned grey. Quite frankly I will use either. I got the 911 when I was at the last MVPA convention, otherwise, if shipping and exchange is involved, I am better off buying the tremclad locally.

So that leaves the other two colours. For the flat green, the 383 green CARC replacement paint from Gillespie does nicely. I find it looks a little gawdy when it first goes on, but after a day or two settle into the right colour. I just finished off the last of an original gallon of the flat green paint, and the 383 is a good match.

That just leaves the ever elusive Canadian olive green. For that I use the 33070, which is a little too brown. To overcome that I add a little bit of 33087. Adding a little extra reducer seems to lighten it up as well.

End of the day, you will have 3 colours that contrast nicely and give the proper effect. Nobody will be able to call you a liar.

I have talked to Brian Asbury, and he has the Canadian colours produced by an original supplier. Only problem is he doesn't ship paint to the prairies. So until I catch someone coming through from Ontario to out this way, the Gillespie paints will have to do.

Edited to add: I bought some Arvoe paint here in Canada a decade ago and was not happy with it whatsoever. I saw the stuff being sold at Crown Surplus a few years back, so it is in country. However I personally do not reccoment it and I have read where others had the same poor experience with that paint. YMMV.