View Single Post
Old 02-11-19, 07:47

Default Hetzer preselect gearbox compared to Ferret

This is quite specific and I dont expect a flood of responses , but we have just acquired a nice restored Jagdpanzer 38(t), aka Hetzer, thanks to a rather wealthy benefactor.
It has a Wilson preselect gearbox, like a Ferret, or more correctly, a Praga-Wilson preselect gearbox. It has the same left hand pedal, similar to the gear change pedal on a Ferret. But what interests me is the gearbox is bolted directly up to the differential with no evidence of a fluid coupling like a Ferret, or a clutch.

It seems that, unlike the Ferret, the gear change pedal has two functions as it rises from the hull floor, first it engages the gear selected, and then clamps the band around the drum. This clamping serves as the clutch engagement. I say this because when you come to a stop, you have to depress the pedal and select neutral to prevent the engine stalling, unlike a Ferret.

Anyone any insight? Manuals for WWII German vehicles are damn near unobtainable.

Another thing I thought was interesting: the steering and brake drums are fully exposed. You can see the steering band clamp around a steering drum when you pull back on one of the (horizontal) tiller bars, and you can see the drum stop, confirming you are getting the designed steering radius for whatever gear you are in. The trouble is the steering radius is horrible, even in first gear. It's an extremely unmaneuverable vehicle. Much worse than a Sherman, and they're not great. And no neutral turn. So to aim that gun, you had to drive forwards or backwards. I can see the desirability of setting it up to fire down a bottleneck for oncoming tanks to keep you in the narrow 16 degree traverse range of the gun.

Malcolm

Last edited by Malcolm Towrie; 10-11-19 at 03:33.