View Single Post
Old 06-11-04, 18:39
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Talking

Me, a bleeding heart? Oh my, what would those who know me think...

I understand your position on this, JD, but respectfully disagree. I think Jon said it best: 'I salute all National Flags on parade'.

OF COURSE the flag of Canada has precedence over any other in this country. But many here have served under other flags and that service should be acknowledged. Oh, and please... don't tell several veterans I know that the Red Ensign is not something they can or should salute. THEY BLED FOR THAT FLAG. It represents the nation they went to war for.

IMHO, denigrating THAT, denigrates their service. I know a few feisty old buggers who might take you to task on that, because they were there at the time. The concepts of 'government edict' and 'PC' just don't take with them. And they EARNED the right to their opinions. They buy my flag because they're proud of what it represents.

BTW, ref one of your other comments, there's noticeably less "unity" in this country now than there ever has been. That has damn-all to do with the flag - it's a function of government policy. The inevitable result of 40 years of wishy-washy politics. Perhaps if we'd kept with the spirit of the Red Ensign, things might have worked out diferently...

Finally... draft dodgers and deserters have no place in this conversation. IMHO.

G.

Quote:
Originally posted by JD Baillie
"Gee. I don't have a "CD" after my name. Does that mean I don't have an opinion?"

Are you a bleeding heart? If not, say on!

"Let's hear from the guys here who DO have CDs after their name. For the record."

OK:

Men and Women who have their CD earned it under at least three iterations of the Canadain flag. But the flag saluted today is the Maple Leaf. I too have associated with U.S. veterans of two wars, Korea and the Second World War. I have served with some of them. From Wales, Scotland and England and in one case Germany (Hitler Jugend). They were all good men and deserve my fond rememberance. In one particular case I brought a U.S. Vietnam veteran into my legion as a full member. There were tears in his eyes during the swearing in - he was so glad to be recognised and included in with us. All persons who have given ANYTHING up for their country should be remembered passionately. But while in THIS country should do so under the CANADA flag and no other.

Under no circumstances on Nov 11th of all days should any other country's flag share a position of precedence with the Maple Leaf.

There are enough splinter elements in this country without confusing anyone about which flag we stand under.

"BTW, I have sold approx 125 Red Ensigns so far. It's not the Canadian flag per se, so does that mean that the guys who bought them - most of them veterans - aren't Canadian enough for you?"

And I keep my grandfather's WWII red ensign in the most special place of all.

BUT I say again it is not the flag of today. It is not the flag of Canadian unity, and it is not a flag that should share space during a national time of rememberance.

"Mr. Davis, fly the damned flag in honour of those Americans who have died in OUR service, and those Canadians who have died in THEIR service. This is about remembrance, not politics. Human beings. If you don't have an AMerican flag, I'll lend you mine."

Jeff, I'll lend you a U.S. flag too. But that will not change the way we remember.

Don't forget: whether draft dogder, deserter, or honorably discharged from foreign services, those men and women choose to live in CANADA and no where else.

JD