View Single Post
Old 14-05-23, 19:45

Default CASES, Spares, No. 1 Cdn No. 52 ZA/CAN/BR 2349

The first photo here shows the front of the case, with a few longitudinal splits and the ghosts of the factory original ID Stencil.

The second photo is the really interesting one to me. It is of the left end of the case showing a few splits that do not do all the way through the wood, but check out the edge of the bottom board. A beautiful example of the tongue and grooving used to built this board up to the required width. But check out the narrow board at the right end, just before the metal corner reinforcement. It has been double grooved. Strange.

The third photo is of the right end of the case. A few more shrinkage cracks, but there is also a pattern of staple marks in a roughly ‘File card’ sized pattern near the centre of this end, and these marks were filled by the last green coat of paint this case received. I will have to double check the other Boxes/Cases I have to see if they show any staple marks before filling these ones up.

The last photo is the bottom of the box showing where the strips of board used to build up this panel have pulled away from each other a bit and curled ever so slightly.

And that covers the starting condition of this particular Cases, Spares.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Cases, Spares 15.JPG   WS No. 52 Cases, Spares 16.JPG   WS No. 52 Cases, Spares 17.JPG   WS No. 52 Cases, Spares 18.JPG