View Single Post
Old 22-01-23, 21:17

I now have a list of current suitable carbon composite resistors to replace the ones I have found so far needing such attention in the Sender. Finding ones I can actually use in restoring the Sender is shaping up to be a very big challenge, and the fact it jogs me back to the same issue I had when replacing resistors in the two receivers is not helping.

Working on any of the smaller Tag Strips, or the valve sockets, is not a problem. Even the smaller Tag Panels can be worked with, but it is the larger Tag Panels which are a problem. The tag spacings on these panels are either 2.25 inch for the smaller ones or 2.5 inch for the larger ones. When you start looking at replacement, new production, carbon composite resistors, you quickly find the sum of the lengths of the resistor bodies and the two axial leads seems to give a modern standard length of 2.38 inches. So with a lot of careful dicking about with an easily accessible Tag Panel, you can just fit a new resistor across the smaller panel, but are SOL doing so with the larger Tag Panel. Most of the resistors currently needing attention are, of course, on a large Tag Panel. I am a bit of a way from getting the capacitors sorted, but suspect I am going to run up against the very same 2.38 inch overall length limit with them.

There are a few companies out there dealing with fairly extensive NOS supplies of carbon composite resistors but none (rightly so) guarantee the specs of the components anymore, and using them for jewellery purposes seems a common theme.

About half of the resistors I am looking for are also used in the receiver so I could hunt them down for testing and reuse, but if they are not installed in Tag Panels currently, it is very likely their leads have been trimmed too short to be of use, even if solidly on specifications.

So the Sender sits on the bench while I ponder the situation.

David