View Single Post
Old 09-01-22, 20:12

Default SUPPLY UNITS, Vibratory, No. 52 ZA/CAN 4354

I started removing the paint from the front panel of this assembly today, The paint had cracked along the bottom section of the panel where the bend in it took place, and it seemed like a good test area to see how easy the task would be to remove the lower section of paint.

Considering this panel was repainted in 1966, it was pretty much guaranteed a lead based paint had been used, so I was not interested at all in sanding it down. I also was not in the mood to bundle up and drive over to the nearest hardware store for a can of stripper, so decided scraping it off would work just fine. By setting the panel at the front of a large brown paper bag, I can scrape towards the bag and all the little bits fly happily into it, and not my pail of fresh tea at the side of the bench.

The red oxide primer that turned up on the back of the grey paint chips confirmed this was indeed a 1966 rebuild. A grey primer was used by Canadian Marconi for all their paint priming of the other front panels on the 52-Set. Whoever repainted this panel at 202 Workshop did an excellent job. Once all the paint is removed, I will do the straightening of the panel and give it a light sanding before repainting it.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Supply Unit 34.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 35.JPG