View Single Post
Old 14-12-21, 16:03

Default SUPPLY Unit ZA/CAN 4772

Well, it looks as if Philco Canada was not only involved with the headgear manufacturing with RCA Canada for the 52-Set, but they also had the contract to build the Vibrator Unit Power Transformer T7A (CMC 97703), ZA/CAN 4413.

Another few discoveries when I flipped the Vibrator Unit over and at first thought the interior had been horribly rusted somehow, and then realized it was actually copper plated.

Then the odd stuff showed up again.

A very careful look confirmed virtually all of the components and wiring are factory original, but every original Shakeproof washer had been removed and most replaced with those ugly, oversized external toothed washers. Some screws were even found to have had Shakeproof washers under them at one time but they were removed and replaced with nothing at all.

When you look at all the hex nut hardware, you find it was originally given a coat of varnish at the factory, but several hex nuts and open screw ends now have an additional overcoat of a thick yellow ‘paint’ that is probably some form of Loctite.

The last two photos in this Post highlight yet again the very sloppy, indifferent workmanship performed by whoever worked on this Supply Unit. The pan head screw at the very lower, right rear corner never properly meshed with both pieces of metal to pull them in together. I have experienced this phenomenon myself many times over the years. The screw threads into the first piece of metal just fine, but with not enough pressure applied to the face of the first piece of metal as the screw tried to grab the second piece, the screw just spins against the second piece but continues to thread into the first, pushing the two pieces apart. Usually you can back the screw out and apply correct pressure and try again with success. Sometimes you might have to back other screws off a bit to allow for better alignment of the two pieces of metal for the last screw. The point is, it is easily fixable. Clearly, nobody bothered here, slopped some yellow goop on the end of the screw and walked away. Adding confirmation to the indifference, about halfway forward on the same side, a bulkhead plate is mounted across the width of the assembly using the same pan head screws. As noted in the last photo, the same problem occurred with the same indifferent response. What you cannot see here because it is out of camera range is the second, upper screw showing the same effects.

So a Supply Unit component that required no component upgrades at all, was torn apart to have perfectly good hardware replaced by the wrong hardware as part of an assigned task somebody clearly did not want to do. Could have been worse I suppose, but one more reason to track down a good supply of Shakeproof washers.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Supply Unit 26.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 27.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 28.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 29.JPG