View Single Post
Old 11-12-21, 17:47

Default CASES, Metal C1, CMC 119-600 ZA/CAN 4252

Not actually knowing what the problem was, I probably erred excessively on the side of caution when it came to attempting to remove the Cases, Metal C1 from its tray in the Supply Unit. After carefully looking in all the usual places for signs of rust, varnish, or even soldering/welding, and finding none, I decided the best approach was to use a small block of wood against the central outer edges of the case at the exposed back of it, and start tapping with a rubber mallet.

The fist couple of taps got the Case to back out about an eighth of an inch, which was a very good sign. About 5 minutes of alternated taps from side to side eventually got the Case out until just over an inch was still in the Supply Unit. At that point, a quick, straight out tug, with hands on each side of the Case, brought it out, for what I now realize, was the first time since June 1966.

In the first photo it is now sitting free beside the Supply Unit.

The second photo shows the Case sitting on its right side with the front facing to the right of the image. You can see the slight oxidation along the lower edge of the side where it sat in its tray. Note the interesting patch mark in the upper left rear corner of the side. I did not realize the significance of this right away.

The last photo is the top of the Case, again with the front facing to the right of the image. At the back of the case, about an inch or so in, you can just see traces of a line running perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the Case. This is a good thing. The long line running the length of the Case, and the other shorter ones, are not.

The Canadian Marconi Part Number stamped onto the top of the Case was also a surprise. This is the first time I have ever seen a CMC Part Number using a ‘Forward Slash’ between the two parts of the number. Every other CMC Part Number I have seen to date has used a ‘Dash’.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Supply Unit 15.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 16.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 17.JPG