View Single Post
Old 29-05-21, 23:12

Default PANELS, Phenolic, 20-Tag ZA/CAN 4592

After a careful search of the Master Parts List for the 52-Set, this turns out to be the official part name for the Tag Board ER in my previous post.

The two attached photos show this Panels, Phenolic now free of the receiver chassis. The three pieces of masking tape on the rear of the panel are simply an orientation reference for the panel should I not see it again for several months, and to hold the mounting hardware in place.

For some reason, when I first turned the panel over, I was surprised to see the wire lead in place across the top of the panel. Then it slowly sank in that all such panels in the 52-Set would have been stand alone, sub-assemblies during the manufacturing process. Components would have been fitted to the various panels as appropriate and then these completed panels would have arrived at various stations on the assembly line to be wired and mounted onto the appropriate chassis assemblies.

If you look closely at the rear view photo, you can see where the two capacitors were mounted to the panel at the second pair of tags from the left and the last pair at the right end. The capacitor leads were fed down through the tag panel holes, and then wrapped back up around the edge of the panel and back around the upper ‘T’ terminal of the tag. An interesting approach, as this would have physically held the capacitor firmly in place and allowed the station operator a free hand in soldering the capacitor in place.

The other interesting thing I noticed is the offset mounting holes. This allows the panel to be mounted on the chassis, one way only, further reducing the risk of errors on the assembly line.

On the front side of the panel, where the unoccupied tags are seen, you can see a black, circular C.M.C. Inspection Stamp, and below it a small blob of blue paint. I have seen this blue paint blob referred to in other CMC documentation as proof that a particular component works to required specifications, so I am guessing the black inspection stamp simply confirms the panel was properly assembled.

While I think of it, does anyone know if there is a standard, or accepted way of numbering the tags on one of these panels? They all seem to be referenced by the number of terminal tags present and these are always in even numbers. The even numbers makes sense, but where and how does the numbering typically run?

David
Attached Thumbnails
PANELS, Phenolic, 20-Tag  ZA:CAN 4592 A.JPG   PANELS, Phenolic, 20-Tag  ZA:CAN 4592 B.JPG