View Single Post
Old 21-03-21, 19:38

Back in Post #570, I had noted the LEADS, Aerial, 25-3/4 inch was temporarily installed on the 52-Set. This was basically to get the Leads in its final, correct position while the paint, lettering and clear coat were still relatively soft and uncured. I wanted that large lazy curve on the Receiver end of the Leads to get established so the Leads will be comfortable in that position down the road. Hopefully it will take on the nice aged look of the one Bruce has in his possession.

Since this was a temporary install (I still have the Receiver work to finish and have not started work on the Supply Unit) I had not bothered connecting the Sender end of the Leads to its terminal. I got to that point yesterday to find the pin terminal on that end of the Leads would not seat properly in the Sender AE Terminal Post. A closer look showed that when I was doing the final tightening of the AE Terminal when aligning the pin slot in it with the stem of the last Eye Screw, the AE Terminal must have shifted about 5 degrees clockwise. Just enough to jamb the pin from sliding all the way into the slot.

So out of the Carriers No. 4 the Sender came once again yesterday afternoon so I could realign the AE Terminal once more.

Getting the Sender in and out of the Carriers No. 4 is an interesting exercise. With the four mounting bolts out of the way, the two Handles at the lower centre of the Sender are definitely down where most of the mass of the Sender is located, but most of the resistance is in the upper left corner of the Carriers No. 4, where the two, 8-pin Connectors are located.

The Sender will slide out it seems, just until the four angle brackets are free of the Carrier. Then, the pulling force seems to have an upward element to it rather than straight out the front of the Carriers. This loads the contacting surfaces of the two 8-Pin Connector assemblies and they start to bind. Not a great thing for 75+ year old Bakelite. So to counteract that load, I now open the Blower Door so I can grip under the upper Sender Chassis lip with the fingers of my left hand and my thumb on the upper face of the Carrier, gripping that part of the Sender towards me while trying to put straight out as much as possible with the right hand Handle down low, with my Right Hand. The Sender pops out quite easily doing that.

To go back in, I find the Sender will slide relatively smoothly up until the two 8-Pin Connectors make contact with each other when significant resistance is met. At that point, I switch from pushing with the two Handles to placing Left Thumb centre top of the Blower Door and fingers down the left side of the front panel, above and below the Mounting Bracket. Right thumb on the right side Mounting Bracket. Applying pressure at those two points gets the two 8-Pin Connectors sliding into each other smoothly and alternating between those positions and the two lower Handles gets the Sender snugged home safely.

CMC did not expect the 52-Set Operators to have to pull the individual components out of the Carriers No. 4 at all. Unlike the classic 19-Set, all Operator valve servicing could be done via various removable panels, or the Sender Blower Door. As a result, there is no real information supplied in the Operator’s Manual regarding technique fro removal and installation. I thought this might help somebody sort it out sooner or later.

With the AE Terminal on the Sender now correctly readjusted, the Leads slides into place just nicely.

David
Attached Thumbnails
LEADS, Aerial 25-3:4 inch Project 38.JPG  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 21-03-21 at 23:47.