View Single Post
Old 07-02-08, 17:01
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ramsden View Post
I know its not really a CMP question but you blokes seem pretty knowledgable about these things.
In have been reading accounts of the British using D4 and D7 Bulldozers. What do these designations actually mean? I presume it is weight or something. Picture comparisons or dimensions would be useful.
The reason I ask is I read an account of the British parachuting D4s into the Borneo Jungle and as a model maker thought it might make an interesting diorama. However in 1/35 scale I can only find the resicst D7. Would it be feasable to parachute a D7 or are they way too big?
I also found a Clarke Airborne Bulldozer, how does this relate in terms of D rating?
Thanks
Paul
It definitely wasn't feasible to para drop a D7 or even a D4 in WWII, at least out of a transport. The reason why? No aircraft existed during that time with a rear ramp that could be opened in flight. The C82 had a rear ramp, but the clamshell fairing couldn't be opened in flight. It would have been suicide to push a D4 out the door of a C46 or C47 in flight as the shift in C. of G. would cause a crash long before the dozer could have been manhandled out. I'll include a pic showing the effort taken to load a D4 into a C47...now try that while the aircraft is flying! I guess a dozer could have been slung beneath the bomb bay of a large bomber...I don't think it would fit inside, at least not completely. It would create terrible drag and probably adversely effect the handling of the bomber. I never heard of such a thing and doubt it ever happened. Derek.

(P.S.) Hmmm, it's not allowing me to upload a picture of several grunts manhandling a D4 into a Skytrain. Oh well, these days I'm happy to simply be able to post a reply!