View Single Post
Old 13-09-07, 20:47

Default CDLV Jeeps

Hanno, the Lorne Scots Jeep I would say is definitely 242 contract. Please note the body male fittings for some sort of enclosure. Mine also has this, but not all Canadian contract ones have them.
The second photo I have seen before and is captioned as Monty in General Crerars Jeep. The hood number is unusual as it seems to be 116102 - not a 421 or 423 prefix. My slat grill is drilled for headlamp guards on both sides but most photos show one only on left and bridge plate on right. This probably fits with the original 241/242 contract ordered late 41 "for 2000 vehicles delivered by 15th Feb 42, which stated "Two thousand "Defence Aid" blackout lighting equipment, hooded type, in accordance with the specifications referred to in Article 5 hereof. The equipment will be installed on the cars covered by Items 1 and 3 above"
Items 1 and 3 relate to order for 1500 and 500 Jeeps. Article 5 is a full list of specifications "in accordance with the United States Quartermaster Corps Specifications L.P./91/997A, subject to all changes to said specifications.......up to and including October 22 1941"
Specifically the "Defence Aid" lights orders a single front headlamp mounted on the left side but with a pigtail sufficiently long enough to mount the lamp on the right if needed. Radiator grill extensions provided on both sides and rear tail lamps (2) will be duplicates of the right hand tail light provided for in the US Blackout specification.
If anyone has a copy of the USQMC Specification above, we may be getting somewhere.

Hope this helps.