View Single Post
Old 16-08-07, 07:14

Chris Vickery wrote:
Quote:
Colin, my MB was mfg around Aug 31, 1942 or possibly Sept 1, 1942. Trying to make it as correct as possible, I could therefore use a non script body, add the BODL assy and eliminate the lifting rings and still be OK?
Canadian contract W-LU 440-M-PERS-1 CDLV 505 last batch of jeeps (technically although they are part of the MB serial number sequence and have the MB chassis according to the dash data plate, they are not MBs but rather are a sub-variant) made between Aug 31 to Sept 2 1942 were approx SN MB 170383 - 171286 (based upon known surviving examples +/or data plates recorded in my data base which has 1,539 WWII jeeps plus many post-war Canadian jeeps, trailers, Ferrets etc. These jeeps had:
1. Black out drive light on left fender
2. CDLV 505 data plates (including the special manuals one on dash over the steering column)
3. Three stud spare tire carrier
4. NO "WILLYS" script
5. Did have Jerrican carrier
6. Did have safety rings for pintle hook
7. Did have trailer socket for electrical connection.
8. Did have the four lifting rings (note they are NOT towing rings. USMC special contract jeeps also had these four lifting rings and as well two front tow hooks on top of frame horns but Canadian jeeps did not have the two tow hooks.

The parts manuals go into detail for Canadian changes e.g. a minor wiring change in the light switch.

Evidence indicates that the convoy light was added in UK as was the convoy light switch. Also added in UK were the blackout head light guards and special black out headlight (I have one NOS and have several replicas of the BO headlight guard but would like an original - found 3 but could not talk owners out of any.)

Hanno - Regarding the new book on Canadian jeeps coming out from Service Publications - I expect it will be good and will use material from our national archives in Ottawa but it will not have all the details that collectors want as the series is not aimed at collectors and restorers, but rather at the casual market. It will be worth buying however as the series is a good overview of the various Canadian vehicles.

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC