View Single Post
Old 12-12-14, 12:04

It's my understanding that the required colour for vehicles to be painted with at the outbreak of war was a mat light Khaki Green colour. My research over many years of motorcycle restorations has led me to realise that the Khaki colour varied considerably though. I have found several samples of original paint inside brake plates and chain covers, NOS parts etc.

The colour can vary from light Khaki, similar to the US Light Olive to a dark Green/Brown colour. I have never found a BS or Ral number and relied purely on mixing Service brown and British Olive Drab in ratios of 25-75, 50-50, or 75-25. To give my collection a range of different colours that I find pleasing.

I know that some guys have spent a lot of time coming up with a " definitive Khaki Green" based on a WW2 sample, but I don't think there is any such thing, but it is always nice to have some proof of an original colour, and therefore achieve the best match to that colour by mixing it yourself or at your local auto paint shop....or Cromadex.

by 1942 Earth or Service Brown was instigated. But of course that also depended on the shades from different manufacturers and the need to use up old stocks of paint by mixing it in with the new colour.

Nothing cast in Stone.

Ron