View Single Post
Old 14-09-20, 15:43

Quote:
This document surfaced after I posted this thread on the Sherman Register FB page. It was found by Rik Teernstra at: http://www.geschiedenismelderslo.nl/...en_apr2001.pdf
Thanks Hanno (and Rik!), even though that document and the other wiki one probably won't give us the true identity and fate of Avalon, it does give us some very interesting reading on the battle!

Quote:
Some areas of the former Operation Aintree battlefield have been surveyed to assess the risk of unexploded ordnance. Maybe surveys like this will yield additional info?
Clever idea Hanno! I hadn't thought of that and will look into this.
David's suggestion of going there with a metal detector is something I have thought about multiple times, but never did as I don't have the kit and knowledge, nor do I know what the rules are. It could however confirm if there is shrapnel in the ground, confirming you are on the right spot.
The Broekhuizen location is documented, but the other possible location in Boxmeer is a bit more troublesome, as I haven't found an exact location in or around Boxmeer yet.

Quote:
Interestingly, none of the holes visible after the training can be seen today. All carefully filled to restore it to its after the battle condition?
I think they are two different tanks. The "monument" Tiger had a crippled barrell, but did retain it's right hand track. The picture you posted with the white camo is what is now the monument tank. The other is the one they used as a target, but I have to agree with David that only the small holes would be Panzerfaust, while the others would be normal rounds.

Allied forces purposely testing weapons on an important piece of kit as a Crab; I don't see that happen. Even if it's beyond repair, the tank could provide valuable parts as engine, gearbox, transmission, tracks, bogies etc.

Quote:
To me it looks like someone fired an automatic cannon at it, ±20 mm calibre. Perhaps a German AA gun, perhaps an aircraft? The slight downward angle would point to the latter, but whether it was German or British is anyone’s guess, I suppose.
The downward angle is so shallow, that apart from an aircaft hit, I guess it could also have been a level shot, if the tank drove through a crater at the time.

Quote:
Similarly I don't see any sign of these very distinctive radial marks on the photos of Avalon though the marks on the relatively thin cover plate on the back of the flail drive box are similar.
David, thanks for sharing the interesting panzerfaust info. I will try to put up some more pictures of the penetractions and the inside of Avalon tonight.....maybe that will help determine the weapon that caused them.
When I visited the museum a few months ago I did bring a "christmas" drill bit, but maybe I should have brought some fast curing clay
I do seem to remember there were some radial marks around some of the penetrations.

Hanno; I would be exciting if there was a link between Avalon and the Skink, but again I don't think it's likely that allied forces would purposely shoot on their own mine flail.

Thanks everyone!

Alex

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 14-09-20 at 15:52.