View Single Post
Old 14-09-20, 12:18

It seems to me that the large impacts shown on the King Tiger in Hanno's post #17 are solid shot impacts, not even HESH or APDS, particularly those in the colour photo. There are small ones showing what could be Panzerfaust but those would show radiating marks around the entry side of the hole where the shrapnel from the outside of the shaped charge gouged the armour. Photos are not clear enough to show either way.

Similarly I don't see any sign of these very distinctive radial marks on the photos of Avalon though the marks on the relatively thin cover plate on the back of the flail drive box are similar. This piece is, I think, not armour so would have been easily marked by shrapnel from nearby hits. Also the hits shown in the photos have a significant bulge around the entry where the metal has flowed sideways. This would have been much less from a shaped charge hit.

If the interior of Avalon is as described above by Jakko then I agree with him that the many similar holes in Avalon were caused by automatic 20mm or similar fire. It is still possible that it was hit by a Panzerfaust but I don't see such a hit in the photos and have never personally inspected the tank.

David