Thread: CMPs for Russia
View Single Post
Old 08-10-19, 22:21

Hi Larry,
IMHO the lack of pictures can be explained with no less than two reasons:
1. The Canadian softskins received in the USSR by Lend-Lease weren't that much;
2. The possession of personal cameras in the Red army was prohibited and the official photographers seldom took pictures of Lend-Lease hardware due to political and ideological reasons.
So even today we must rely almost completely on indirect evidences, such like plain texts and postwar pictures.
Talking about CMPs, so far I have an info about some "arcticized for Russia": C60S wreckers (regretfully it isn't mentioned were they fitted with Holmes or Gar Wood gear, or both), LWB 3-tonners with GS body (not clear were they Ford or Chevrolets, or both) and C60X machinery trucks of 5 different types with 5 different Lindsey bodies respectively. However, "arcticized for Russia" still doesn't mean "delivered in Russia", although some were. Looks like all were fitted with cab 13.
This info wasn't found in Russian sources, of course. When it comes to Lend-Lease softskins even after so many years they are suspiciously silent, save the Studebaker US6.
So far I've managed to dig out only one wartime picture with good quality of Canadian truck in Red army service and it is Dodge T110, enjoy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canadian-Dodge-T110-in-Russia.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	109822
https://i.postimg.cc/Z5FJnKNX/Canadi...-in-Russia.jpg

I also have some "indirect evidences", i.e. postwar pictures, if you're interested I'll post them too.
Cheers!

Last edited by Ilian Filipov; 08-10-19 at 23:09.