View Single Post
Old 02-03-23, 20:10

Default Another issue......

You need to make sure the various pulleys you use are all the same width for the belt to run properly. Sometimes you need to find a wide pulley groove on a 216 Harmonic balancer to match the wide pulley of the pump and generator.

Is this for a cab 11/12......... if so as Grant pointed out the 54 dizzy is too big and the whole dizzy assembly needs to be changed.....Pertronix now makes a magnetic device to eleminate the points and condenser witihareal hot spark. On a cab 13 the larger 235 dizzy should fit...... using the 216 harmonic balancer and a 216 water pump pulley will insure the pump does not turn to fast and induce cavitation.

One more thing the water pump will usually have on the rh side an outlet./intake location that should be fitted with a by-pass pipe.....rubber is easy but the 180 degree ebnd will eventually crack.....better to install a 1/2 inch flexible copper pipe soldered to threaded brass fittings.

My experience has been to buy an adapter plate that once fitted allows to use a rebuilt 216 water pump with the two holes at the back.....it does require to drill into the engine block water jacket and tape but relatively easy if the engine is on a stand.

If you need pictures for my set up let me know....

Cheers
Canada