View Single Post
Old 03-04-19, 14:00
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert View Post
Philippe,
You may not know this but ALL these British style MOD split rim 16" wheels, whether British, Canadian or Australian (though I think they were made in Canada?) have exactly the same dimensions and are fully interchangeable between vehicles regardless of tire size. The same with the 20" ones except that there were two styles of them - 8 stud dished centre ( used on 3 ton trucks) and 10 stud flat centre (used on Scammells and Matadors etc)

The British ones have BSW threaded studs vs the American threads on the Canadian ones and for some strange reason the valve cut out is in a slightly different position which prevents mixing front and back halves but as assemblies they are the same. (No, even the Canadian made wheels have the wheel-half studs as 7/8"-11 BSF, same as the British wheels. It is the actual wheels studs in the hubs (and corresponding nuts) that are BS, SAE, etc as to suit the vehicle.)

The only exception to this that I know of is the six stud version used on Dodge D212 and Chevy Heavy Utilities (and F8A and Lynx I Scout Car). I believe but am not certain that these used the same pressings as the 8 stud ones. Could someone confirm or correct that please. (Not the same, the 6 stud wheels have bead dimensions to accept 16" taper bead US tires, the 8 stud accept flat-bead British-style tyres.)

David
Also, with the thickness of the steel used in the wheel discs, the offset is "0" on the 16" rims.