View Single Post
Old 30-11-20, 23:56

After visiting Broekhuizen, I also had to visit "Avalon" in the Overloon museum again.
I took some measurements of the remaining welds on the left and right hand side of the hull. The welds on the RH match up with that of the (ex-wading) box on the LH, so I am now sure Avalon had one of these boxes on each side. The other weld remains on the LH more towards the rear match up exactly with the brackets for the Sherman V rear hull storage box....So, the box that can be seen on early museum pictures....either laying on the front of the hull, or in front of the tank, is most likely to have come from the left hand side of the hull. Avalon had two of these boxes, as a very crushed example can also be spotted on the rear of the hull in early museum pictures.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broekh19.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	117758 Click image for larger version

Name:	Broekh2.jpg
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	117760

Also....a more close-up pictures of some of the hits in Avalon. The larger holes seem to have the same diameter all the way through.....no taper.
A ring of small hits can be seen around some of the larger holes.

Name:	Broekh1.jpg
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	117759

Last but not least....I also visited Groesbeek war cemetery (You can see I was already losing daylight!), to visit the grave of Lt. Cooper. As mentioned by Michel, Cooper was killed by a shoe-mine while attempting to recover the Flail tanks on December 1st.......76 years ago, tomorrow.

Name:	Broekh18.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	117761

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 01-12-20 at 23:08. Reason: formatting