View Single Post
Old 30-10-20, 18:59

When I first started looking for information on Chevrolet trucks, I read posts discussing various aspects. One thing that I found confusing was the term flat faced cowl on the trucks, normally from those who are trying to, or have built a replica. I eventually worked it out by myself, but thought a quick post might help those not sure of it either.
The standard cowl was designed to incorporate an angled 2 piece hinged windscreen to be fitted to the hard top cab. this meant the dashboard and the bonnet (hood) was shaped in a shallow v to accommodate this. It also meant that the dash had a different rounded civilian profile to it with a specific instrument cluster.
The LRDG didn't need the cab and the standard Chevrolet model for this was a flat face cowl, which was flat vertically at the door pillar and across the dash. This allowed it to have a straight 'Jeep' style folding windscreen which was a standard fit on the LRDG batch. (These windscreens were frequently removed and replaced with Aero screens, but you often see the original jeep windscreen mounts on the front edges of the wooden dash surround.) This cowl also had a specific set of instruments. The following annotated drawings are from the 1941 Chevrolet catalogue, and photos from Maple Leaf up Forum and various internet sites I no longer remember!

Click image for larger version

Name:	f1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	117151 Click image for larger version

Name:	f2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	117152 Click image for larger version

Name:	f3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	414.4 KB