View Single Post
Old 02-03-10, 09:23
Keyan Noble, Halifax, NS

Default Re: Utility (Bren) Pouches

Hi Dave, Ed and Others,

You made a valid point, Dave.

That is how the Sewn Canvas Version of the "Bren Gun Bra" (or,"Bra" as it was mostly referred to by the Vets using it) came about later on in the War. This new Sewn Canvas Version can only be worn with the pouches on the wearer's chest; and is referenced in the book, "The Canadian Soldier, D-Day to VE-Day 1944-1945". See Page 26?

As I said earlier, and have this backed up by the Vets (Bren Gunners-Infantry and Airborne) using this equipment and by War Museum Curators, ... the Uitlity Puches, when both worn on the wearer's chest, were called (although nicked-named such) the Bren Gun Bra. This nick-name and this manner worn of these pouches were not published in the manual that Ed is referencing. These were developed by the Instructors and/or Personnel using the Utility Pouches from Battalion to Battalion, Regiment to Regiment; and Unit to Unit. Most often than not, the proper terminology or usage of this equipment was not even taught to the common soldier. Again, this has been back up by the same method as described earlier.

So when the Utility Pouch is worn in the desribed manner above, the "Bren Gun Bra" and the "Utility Pouch" are the same thing. Again, according to the Vets ... "That's a no brainer."

Ed, would you be able to tell me where one could obtain a copy of the manual you mentioned earlier; and what they normally run for? I would love to have a copy.

Rgs...

Keyan