View Single Post
Old 06-01-07, 19:52
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default The Kangaroo Stencil

From the 1CACR War Diary:
November 18, 1944
Stencils for marking vehicles have been made up locally, showing the Tactical Number 157 on a green and blue background, and another showing an orange Kangaroo in a black circle. The Tech, Adjt., Capt. Rook, had signs painted on a tank and a 'B' vehicle as examples for the remainder of the vehicles.

December 18, 1944
The Commanding officer, Lt. Col. Churchill approved the regimental design (Kangaroo) to be painted on all vehicles, Kangaroo in Orange (Holland's National Colour) within a black circle.

From looking at the weather reports in the Diaries (a lot of rain and cold, wet weather) and some notations regarding delays in maintenance and painting, I would surmise that not all the tanks and B vehicles got fully marked by the time they went into action in early January. After that, there would be no time for painting until they stood down for maintenance just before the Rhine crossings. The lack of markings showing up in photographs from 1945 would support this. I would think "command" vehicles were highest priority for painting and trickled down from there.
Even though I have several dozen photos of 'B' vehicles now, I have none that show the "Kangaroo" stencil.

It is also possible that once they came under command of the 79th Armoured on December 21st that they were only to display the 79 AD "Bullshead" and 31 Tk Bde "Diablo"?? These do show up in my "B" Vehicle photos (but not the tanks?)

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
wjm_tank_stencil views.jpg