View Single Post
Old 28-04-15, 04:49

Hi Lionel,

I've been away from the AWM for 5 years now (doesn't time fly?) so am well out of the loop regarding priorities. The best bet is to contact the Research Centre by email at info@awm.gov.au and ask if AWM52 8/6 Pioneer Battalions -are on their digitisation program and if so, when they are scheduled for completion and release to the website. I see they have already got an RCDIG number (RCDIG1019052) which might mean they have been done already, just not released yet. Worth asking.

The only other alternatives are buy a copy or visit the AWM and read/copy on site. I'd suggest it might be cheaper to buy a copy than make the pilgrimage to Canberra.

According to AMF HQ SM2809 of 15 July 1940 (the earliest marking ref I have for 2/1st Pioneers) they were allotted to 1 Aust Corps. Their unit sign was a red background with the numbers '37' superimposed in white. Across the top of the sign plate was a 2 inch deep white band, indicating Corps Troops (1 Aust Corps did not have an approved Formation sign at that time). It was the same sign as on 18/1/1941, but by 5/12/1941, the number had changed to 261, and the background colour to black. Still allotted to 1 Aust Corps.

Best regards

Mike