Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 22-07-20, 00:18
VMVC

Default Ford and Chev transfer case speedometer cable ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Speedometer cable at transfer case:
1. I don't know whether Ford and Chevrolet use identical cable tips at the transfer case.
2. If they are the same, Phil Waterman put Chevrolet measurements on his web site at http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...ge%20Notes.htm
3. From memory (not to be trusted 100%) I think Clark Brothers Instruments http://www.clarkbrothers.net/catalogs.html had similar tips but not absolutely identical to Chevrolet. My memory is that the precise cable and sheath weren't obviously available but I may not have looked hard enough....

A couple of days ago I made up a dummy to see whether the sheet metal guide at the transfer case could be replicated on a bead roller. No photos at this time but the summary is "exact to the nth degree" - no, but functional should be possible.
Hi Grant,

I had a look at Phil's drawing and my dimensions are the same where it connects to the driven gear: tip diameter = 0.203", height of tang = 0.040"
Overall length is different. Mine is shorter at 1.20" (nominal 1-3/16" same as Clark Bros tip J-2) Likewise my shoulder position is the same as J-2, 3/4".
There is also no O-ring notch on mine or tip J-2.
My shoulderless tip has the same tip diameter and tang height.
Both tips were pulled out of Ford transfer cases that looked like they hadn't been touched since WW2. It has just dawned on me. I think the J-2 type came from a two speed transfer case and I think it had a large diameter casing. I replaced my 2 speed with the single speed in keeping with a F-15A. The shoulderless type definitely came out of a single speed case and had a remnant or 1/4" diameter casing on the ferule.

The only bare steel outer casing Clark Brothers stock is bulk 0.25" OD which is the Ford commercial and F-15, F-15A size. Perhaps Ford used a larger casing on their two speed transfer cases too?
Covered sizes may be the same as Chev, without the covering, but I will leave that to the Chev guys to determine.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 22-07-20 at 00:29.