Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 19-07-20, 00:12
VMVC

Default F-15A Speedometer cable routing and length

Hi Hanno,

I cannot thank you enough for the photos and length information. After 30 years climbing over relics, not finding a single speedometer cable on any truck, I finally have the right information.

*C29Q 17262 is listed in my F-15A parts list as the shaft for the "new design" cab, i.e. Cab 13 I would assume.

I notice you have the vertical entry cable at the transfer case speedometer gear. Mine is the later horizontal. I will check out my truck and see if it adds any extra distance to the length where it penetrates the crossmember. At least I got that right.

I have determined for a round speedometer that the distance from the speedometer ferule end to the transfer case ferule end is 35mm-41mm less than the shaft depending on whether the transfer case shaft end has a shoulder on it or not. (See attached). If no shoulder on the tip the shaft goes 6mm further into the driven gear and 6mm less into the speedometer. That may be acceptable, but I prefer full engagement of the shaft in the speedometer. That makes the casing length about 83-1/2" (2121 mm). It may, however, be slightly different for a Ford commercial speedometer due to different end nuts at the speedometer.

Knowing this I can now get my cable shortened.

Many thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
transfer case end.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 19-07-20 at 23:38. Reason: Added photo and comments of different type transfer case tips